William was duke of Normandy and, as William I, the first Norman king of England. He defeated and killed the last Anglo-Saxon king of England at the Battle of Hastings.
What does the Bayeux Tapestry tell us about William? Discuss this with a partner.
Here you can read the tale told by the Bayeux Tapestry -
The story of William the Conqueror and Harold, Earl of Wessex, the men who led the Norman and Saxon armies in 1066. William's defeat of Harold at the Battle of Hastings ensured the success of the Norman invasion of England.
William of Normandy
Battle of Hastings Assessment Task – 20%
You are a reporter in 1080ce.(14 years after the Battle of Hastings) Either reporting about the Normans and Duke William or a reporter writing about the Saxons and King Harold 1.
You need to include the answers to these 3 questions. These questions will be your headings
1. Do you think William was justified in fighting this battle?
2. Did the Norman Conquest change people's lives completely?
3. "Many historians believe the Bayeux Tapestry to be biased towards the Norman Perspective." To what extent do you believe the tapestry to be a realiable source? Give evidence to support your reasons.
You are only to use the resources found on the Websites page in this libguide.
Use an A4 document divided into 3 columns:
include a masthead, date, at least 1 image, appropriate headings , use old English font, add your name. Include 1 x reference/citation. When complete soak in coffee and burn around the edges.
This needs to be written using your own words, use some of the ideas below to help you write your article.
Bibliography. Need to include 1 x correct citation. see Referencing Generator
General Capabilities: Need to demonstrate
CRITERIA/MARKING SHEET 20 marks
1. Engaging headline and neat, creative presentation. 4 marks
2. Adequate and accurate coverage of how, what , where, why, when information. Answereing the 3 questions. 8 marks
3. Appropriate Photo, map or diagram 3 marks
4. Structure: 3 marks
a. appropriate paragraphing
b. sentence construction
c. written in students own words
5. Bibliography: 2 marks
5. Submitted late - minus two marks
Details on how to sign in to Clickview Online have been sent to your school email address.
If you have trouble finding this email please come and see one of the Senior Library Staff
Check out the documentary.
" Battle Field Detectives -Who got lucky at Hastings". In 1066 the Normans defeated the Anglo Saxons in the Battle of Hastings but just how did it happen?
These books will be held at the Help Desk for you to use.